Saturday, July 24, 2010

A New Trick


I've found the perfect draining bag for chevre. The local Dollar Store has nylon laundry bags. I bought one ($1) and washed it to remove any dye. Then I turned it inside out, so my chevre wouldn't get caught in the seams. After that I poured in my curds and whey, Miss Muffet style and let the bag hang overnight in my kitchen sink. The next morning, ta da, perfectly drained chevre. Rinse the bag out in cold water, toss it in the washer (I always do my cheese making towels and bags by themselves), hang to dry and the bag is ready for next time. This is why chevre is my favorite cheee, so easy. For a busy working country girl, every step saved is a help. Now I've got to go and get a few chives. I'll have to compete with the bees! We have cucumbers today, so pickles are also in the plan. I hope I don't run out of day before I do chores!