Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Awakening

Going away, even for a short trip, can be an awakening. My time in Vermont was not quite long enough but well worth the effort. Vermont is a foodies paradise and localism reigns supreme. My first trip to Burlington, 7 years ago, was to the Vermont Institute of Artisan Cheese. I feel in love with the people and the countryside. Oh yes...............and the cheese!

Since returning home, my family and I have been enjoying a two year old Shelburne Farms Cheddar, and a Lazy Lady creation, a lovely bloomy rind called La Roche. I have a Vermont Shepherd aged sheep milk and an aged Doe's Leap goat milk tomme. Forgive me for bragging! These are of course, being rationed out, one bite at a time. Although tomorrow night the students of my cheesemakers class are in for a treat. I bought enough of the Vermont Cheddar to share.

I went to the Farmers' Market in Burlington. What a treat! The vendors there display their vegetables, breads, cheese and other provisions with skill and style. Beautiful lettuce, turnips, beets, carrots, rustic breads and more. We had some of the handcrafted bread for dinner tonight. It traveled well. The best thing about the market was the obvious pride of the farmers. Hats off on a job well done.

I came back home with a new enthusiasm for small scale agriculture. Sometimes I wonder if we are on the right track here at our place, Indigo Meadows. It is easy to get bogged down in the day to day and forget to enjoy the process of getting from where we are to where we want to be.
When I got back home and pulled into the driveway, I saw the remains of this year's garden, the newly planted apple trees and the woodpile I came to a new appreciation of our progress here on what was a bare piece of land a mere two years ago. Thanks Vermonter's on providing insights and inspiration.